Thursday, December 11, 2014

dear eden girl: an open letter to my daughter




dear precious Eden girl,
    I am blessed beyond words to be your mama. You see, your daddy and I knew we wanted you for a long time, but I don't think I was prepared to love you this much. It's kind of scary in some ways. I love you more than I could put into words. I loved you when you were growing in my tummy and I had never seen you face to face. I wept when I heard your cry for the first time. Instant love added to love. Layers upon layers of love. I'm not good at expressing these sentiments usually. It's (one of the many) faults that your mama has. But, I promise to be committed to letting you know, with my words, that I love you. You are my precious miracle child.

dear little Eden girl,
    I hope you know that you are a part of a much bigger story. One that centers around a God, a Savior. His name is Jesus. And He loves you more than I ever could. And He formed you and thought you up. And He gave you to me and your dada. And this whole story is about Him and how He came and died for you. Because we are sinful, my little girl. We are full of darkness and capable of hurtful things. But, this God man loves you. And He offers you grace. And you don't deserve it, and neither do I. But, grace is the most special wonderful gift. A relationship with Christ is the reason to live.To love Him and run after Him: that is the whole point of this life. I am praying for you even now. That you accept Him and love Him with your whole being. That you run hard after Jesus, no matter the cost.

dear baby Eden girl,
   your parents are not perfect. I hope you extend us the same grace that God extends to everyone. We will let you down. We will hurt you (unintentionally) and we will need your forgiveness. Please know that we are learning to be the best parents we can be to you. But, we are flawed. At the same time, we have stories to tell. Lessons that we have learned. Wisdom that has developed. Please trust us. Please trust us to want the very best for you and to act in a way that promotes that. I know, sometimes it will not seem that way. But, under the surface, there's a good chance we have walked where you someday will walk as well. We love you more than anyone on this planet does.

dear strong Eden girl,
   in this world you will face trouble. Pain will come. Tears too. Take heart, Jesus has overcome the world. Stay grounded in His Word. Stay active in prayer. So when your faith is tested, and it will be tested, you will be able to remember. That God is good. His Word is true. He has done good things (already) in your little life. And He has a purpose for you.

dear bold Eden girl,
   it will be easy to get distracted. This world offers many things. Fortune. Fame. Stuff. Don't let it take control of your heart and mind. Temporary things only offer temporary happiness. And there is no hope in running after having as much stuff as you can store. No hope in seeking the approval of man. No hope in relying on money to provide security. Everything that you have been given and will be given is all grace. It belongs to God. So, learn to give. Of your time. Of your talent. And of your treasure. Cultivate a heart of thankfulness. There is joy in living a life with open hands. Live a life that seeks to please Christ.

 dear loving Eden girl,
   you have a chance to love people. To really love them. To see past the outside to their greatest need. I pray that you learn to love people the way Jesus does. To be colorblind. To be blind to status. And appearance. And prejudice. There is more gray in this world than you may know. And sometimes people may appear to be something they are not. Love them regardless. Love them enough to do hard things.

 dear lovely Eden girl,
   you are beautiful. This has nothing to do with your physical appearance now or later. No matter what you think you have to look like. No matter what size people try to tell you you need to be. I am sure your dada will have plenty to say about boys that come around. And I will let him. Know this: a boy can not define you. And neither can a relationship with one.You are a beautiful strong little girl because of who you are. Because God says you are HIS. You are dearly loved. You have been bought with a price. Do not be afraid to stand out. Do not be afraid to speak your mind. Do not be afraid to march to the beat of a different drum. 

dear miraculous Eden girl,
   you should know that miracles do happen. That your little life speaks to that. You should also know that there is power in prayer. Your little life speaks to that as well. We know that God has called you to something someday for His glory. We are committed to encouraging you toward that. We love you baby girl. I love you. And I always always will.

-your mama

2 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet letter, Ashton. Love those photos of Eden! Miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annie! We are missing you as well! Hope we can see you again so very soon! :)

      Delete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...