Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Eden's Birth Story Pt. 1



After everything that happened in December with my surgery to remove a tumor in my left ovary, I was definitely less active for a couple months. Trying to recover and heal while simultaneously carrying a baby in an ever growing stomach is not the easiest thing I have ever done. 
But, I was hopeful that we were going to finish well. 

I started experiencing some swelling in my feet and legs not too long after that. It was if I turned the corner into the third trimester and I instantly started retaining water. I just tried to pace myself and keep my feet up as often as I could. But, as I started to rapidly grow (mostly retaining water) it became harder for me to stand for long periods of time because the swelling never really went down in my feet and legs. 

It was definitely humorous watching me try to get into bed at night between my incision on my stomach that was still healing and my ever growing situation. I think I had pillows stuffed in every nook and cranny. And there was plenty of awkward adjusting. As the weeks went on I didn't have one pair of shoes that I could get on my feet. God bless my husband who was putting on my shoes since December. 

My doctor started me on NSTs (non stress tests) at the hospital early on to monitor the baby's heartbeat and movement. This is a precautionary measure for high risk pregnancies. And being that I have Type 1 Diabetes, I got to be in that category. 

The irony in the name of these tests is not lost on me. Because I was anything but "not stressed" during them. Matter of fact, it was quite the opposite. 

During one of the tests, my blood pressure came back very high. The nurses thought it would be wise to do some blood work and an urine sample. My urine came back with some protein in it so they sent me home with a 24 hour urine test and a lab work order to do over the weekend, and I would report back Monday.

And so after a long weekend of trying to give my worry to God and taking inventory of my urine I headed to my next test that following Monday. I should mention here that Erick and I were staying at my parent's house during this time. They were on a cruise and we often stay at their house while they are on vacation to watch the animals and take care of things.

In what I believe to be God's providence, I had all my doctor appointments scheduled out until Eden's due date. And it just so happened that I had an appointment with my doctor scheduled for that Tuesday.
He could look at my results from the following tests that were taken.

When Erick and I stepped into the doctor's office that Tuesday, we really had no idea what to expect. I knew something wasn't right and I had been trying to take it easy over the weekend.
There I sat on the patient table as my doctor calmly explained to me that my 24 hour urine test came back showing I was spilling a significant amount of protein in my urine.
I had preeclampsia. And it was serious.
He explained that Eden needed to come out.

 I don't think I could have prepared myself for what he said next as he was flipping through the calendar. Eden was going to be delivered that Saturday.
At not quite 35 weeks.
4 days left.

The look that Erick and I shared in that moment was probably priceless. My brain could not process. She wasn't due until May. And my parents were on a boat somewhere in the Caribbean. I had so much that wasn't done for her arrival. And we were both not exactly safe at the moment in my current health situation.
I wanted to cry. Not again.
I knew in that moment that I had a choice to walk the last few days with Eden in my tummy in fear.
Or I could walk them in faith.
Trusting that even though I didn't know what to do I could keep my eyes on the One who did.

Eden girl was getting ready to make her debut into this world.



1 comment:

  1. Beautifully told, Ashton. I felt the worry jump up from my stomach right along with you! So happy to know the end of the story, and to know the power of our King Jesus. But I still can't wait to read the rest! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...