Saturday, January 4, 2014

Remembering the old before pursuing the new


Have you read enough recaps of 2013 and goals for 2014 yet? 
If not, feel free to keep on reading. 

A new year is here and I must confess that last year was the first year that I really got serious (as in I followed through) about those resolutions/goals/visions.....whatever you like to title them. 
2013 was definitely a year.
 Ironically, I have read that from more than one recap. I can see a lot of struggles and trials I did not expect when I look back. But, I also see a lot of grace that was flowing through the whole thing.
 And a lot of miracles that flowed out of those trials and a result of that grace.
By far the best thing to happen to Erick and I in 2013 was the news that we are expecting our first baby.
A little girl. And you know, that makes 2013 so much shinier to us. 

As I was reflecting on last years goals I have recognized that it's so easy for me to toss those things aside and move on to new and fresh ideas.
Which in a lot of ways, I do have some new goals and areas that I want to work on.
But, in the midst of God doing something new, I can see how the Holy Spirit is reminding me to not forget what He has already done. Those works of old. He is building on that.
And I have not arrived in those areas that have been refined and are being refined.
There is a gradual building. And I am kidding myself if I think for one moment that any of these areas can be helped or made new if He is not in it.
That's where the change comes from: Christ in me. He refines as I submit and follow in obedience.
And I don't want to pursue things this year in 2014 that are new and fresh if the Holy Spirit is not in them.
If He's not the one leading the change.

With that, here are some of the areas that I am going to be intentional about working on this year with a lot of grace :::

1::: Time spent with Jesus every day. Specifically quieting myself to hear from the Holy Spirit in prayer and Bible reading.

2::: God honoring health. I want to be an example to my daughter. This area has always been a struggle for me because of my perfectionist tendencies. Instead of perfection in every area I just want to be mindful of who I belong to and that I was created to honor God with my body as well.

3::: Practice contentment in living. Simplify. Cut out the excess stuff. Practically, I know this applies to being mindful of what I need and what I want.

4::: Spend less time on my phone (social media) and more time on living and cherishing the life and people God has blessed me with.

5::: Pursue (be unafraid and commit) to a hobby that I've always wanted to try: photography.

6::: Plan out intentional time with my husband every week. My marriage will speak louder than any ministry I am ever involved in. And I want our daughter to grow up seeing that friendship and love that we have.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...