Sunday, January 19, 2014

Overcome the Lie: Grace filled Faith


I am really excited to be participating in the second annual blog tour for Overcome the Lie. 
If you have not heard of them, I encourage you to check out their site.  
Their focus is on what Jesus has done for us: conquering death on the cross. 
And because of that, we as women can walk in freedom from the lies that we often believe. 

So, what lies have I believed? Too many.
I suppose different seasons of life have often brought different lies into my life.
As of late, I have been convicted of a very specific lie that I have believed for a long time.
One that has grown roots. One that has layers.
A lie that I can not sum up very good in one sentence (even though I have tried).

Quite simply, I have often chosen to play it safe.
To keep my expectations low, so as to never risk disappointment.
You know, try to keep control over this life by dodging discomfort.
Can I tell you friends, these things are symptoms of perfectionism and pride all wrapped into one?
This lie that pushes me to keep control with a perpetual dose of failure anxiety.
The end result, I believe, is small faith in my life.
 I am living off of what I can accomplish and see. Instead of  living off of what Christ has accomplished. Jesus is calling me to a faith in Him that lays my need for perfection at His feet.
 A faith that takes risks because pride is not an issue.

 We see in scripture, that our faith is in direct correlation to Christ in us.
Our ability to have faith can not come from us alone!
"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God." :::Ephesians 2:8
What a grace filled relief that is. I do not have to strive even to have faith.
I just need to walk in obedience after Jesus.

You see, I want to have a faith life that is not based or built upon what I can or can not accomplish.
But one that is based upon who Jesus is. Because of WHO He is.
I want my faith to reflect that. There is a difference. 

When I walk through life consumed with having control as to not fail. Or to not experience discomfort.
I am putting more weight upon myself and what I can do instead of on who I claim to be a follower of. 
And that is a lie.
Because living that way does not bring peace. Or less pain. It does not spur on faith.
It may provide a false sense of safety and security. A temporary one. 

But, at the end of the day, walking in abandoned faith after Jesus erases fear. Perfect love cast out fear. Fear of failure. Fear of disappointment. Fear of the struggles we face in this life. Fear of not being perfect.
He is the answer to all these things.
He grows and strengthens my faith as I release my grip on the lies. 

I am a work in progress friends. The Holy Spirit is still very much working this out in my life.
I am learning to release my trust in these lies and instead grab onto Jesus.
 I am recognizing practical areas in my life where faith needs to grow.
 And I know He is the one that will accomplish that in me.
He does not leave a good work unfinished friends.


You can also find Overcome the Lie in these places: 

Twitter // Facebook // Pinterest // Instagram



3 comments:

  1. Love your heart Ashton. Love the journey Jesus is taking you on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashton! I'm Heather, I'm stopping over from the Overcome the Lie blog tour.
    That lie, that comfort is a goal or a point, and our trying to control it instead of trusting Him with that, that's a lesson that's been playing out big time in my life over the last few years. Such power in your words and in His working in you, loved this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping over from the OTL blog tour. I only have one word....yes. Yes. YES.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...