Friday, August 23, 2013

let it go


I awoke this morning with those words staring back at me, somewhere in my mind.  
"....because they are heavy."

Yes, they are indeed heavy.
The thoughts and worries and stresses and fears and insecurities and messed up plans and concerns that all filter their way into our thoughts.
I hold the door for them and usher them in with a greeting.
And maybe a cup of tea and the invitation to stay awhile.
But, these "things" start to take root.
They stay longer than intended. They bury down deep. They visit with a resounding fear inducing message. They steal peace.
And I have, unintentionally maybe, allowed this to happen. To carry on.
I have reached the point where I want to let it go. To see it float off into the horizon.
Forgiveness and the releasing of fingers so tight around it.

But, when I awoke with these words tracing through my brain, I had to wonder: How do we let it go?
How do we have enough strength to release something that is so painful?

Come to me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. ....For my yoke is wholesome and my burden is light and easy to be borne. (matthew 11: 28 & 30)

The words strike my consciousness.

I will lift up my eyes to the hills--from whence shall my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. (psalm 121:1-2)

Another blow.

I am not capable, in my own feebleness, to let things go. Even if they are heavy.
Even if they are crushing the life and strength and joy and peace right out of me.
Even if they are playing through my mind like a broken record.
The heaviness is daunting. The heaviness may break me. But, the heaviness does not release my death grip.
I recognize the need to be free. I am weak. 

 ...lead me to the rock that is higher than I. (psalm 61:2b)

There it is. I know this deep down. I know HE is the source. What does it look like Lord? I question over and over. What does it look like to let this heavy go?

Peace I leave with you; My peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. (john 14:27)

Submit. The word itself stifles. And it ruffles feathers.
Being humble and compliant. Placing myself under the shelter of a good God that wants to take the heavy.
A synonym for the word in my hasty search: obedience.

He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. (psalm 91:4).

And I begin to recognize all this: As I release this heavy burden. As I willingly submit it to Him. He is the faithful one. By the supernatural power of His Holy Spirit He takes all the weight and lifts it away. 
Maybe it will take time.
Maybe I will try and snatch it back. But, He promises to be faithful.
He promises to work the good thing in me.
He promises to be my shield.

I surrender my will to His. I submit. I let it go. And He is faithful.


...and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. (2 corinthians 3:17)



 

2 comments:

  1. This is the first time I've ever visited your blog. I LOVE the quote, and this post is gorgeous with the Scripture woven through. I wrote about my own version of "letting go" a few weeks ago; and it's crazy how the topic keeps popping up in my life these days.

    Beautiful words.
    Thanks for sharing!
    --Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. Sometimes the hardest part to understand about letting go is that it is a foreign concept for us to grasp. We have been taught by societal pressures that if your hands aren't on everything, you are doing a bad job. But Jesus tells us different, He knows that we cannot bear it all - so why try! Give it all to Him. This post is a great reminder of that! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...