Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Intentional


Sometimes seasons last a little longer than what we would prefer them to. Those metaphorical seasons. 
The ones without weather patterns. The ones that we live and walk through. 
The seasons of life (if you will allow me to use such a cliche). 
I think I recognized for the first time the other evening that I have been walking through a season that seems very unintentional. 
As in, I am not intentional. 
I don't know that seasons themselves really have a choice in the matter. 
But, I sure know that to a degree, I have a choice as I live through whatever season I am in. 
Except I haven't been choosing for a very long time. 
I feel like I have been on an auto pilot version of life for quite awhile. 
As if I am going through days, weeks, months, just trying to make it to the next one. 
Not really making any conscious, risky choices. 
Not taking a hard look at it all and getting serious enough to sit down and think about being intentional. 

My perfectionism tells me to be intentionally perfect at all the roles I walk in and in all the seasons. 
My flesh fails. 
And this cues the "all or nothing" me to go with and settle on "nothing" instead of realizing there is another option
It never really is "all or nothing."
There is "grace." 

Which really pulls into perspective the idea of being able to try again under a source of strength that is beyond oneself. 
And I do love and serve a gracious God. He really defines the term. And He has been so gracious and patient with His daughter as she stumbles unintentionally through days that He has given to her.

I don't believe that being intentional means accomplishing everything all the time. 
And I certainly do not believe that it means you are a rock star in every area of life. 
Is there anyone that has it all figured out? 
But, I can't help but feel that God calls us to live an intentional life. 
A life that is intentionally focused on Him and the things that He has called us to. 
That requires us to seek. Not sit around and coast. Seek Him. 

I've been struggling with this friends.
Enough to call it a season.
But, I am ready to look at walking in the grace of my Savior. 
And I am ready to start living out my days intentionally seeking His will. 
And I know in order to do this there has to be moments of  "be still and know" paired with running after Him earnestly.

Please discuss with me, what are some ways that you are intentional with the time God has given you?
How are you living intentionally through your gifts, abilities, and the every day?

6 comments:

  1. i think you seriously just wrote a post for me.. these words speak the same words into my life right now.

    spring is here - let's refresh and reintentionalize (is that even a word??)

    thank you for your vulnerability! i adore you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about this a lot. It's a tough subject and one I'm still working on in my life too. But I wanted to at least say thanks for writing and I agree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and appreciate your insight. I like how you said we need to seek God in order to live intentionally because that is so very true! It's easy to just wait around and expect things to come to you, when in reality we need to give everything to Him.

    Thank you for making me think deeper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic. I also feel like I'm just going through life on autopilot at the moment. I need to start making some risky decisions! (*runs off a looks for jobs abroad*) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. You've really shed light on the "season" I'm going through and what an amazing take, enlightening, brilliant! THANK YOU! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very insightful and it definitely rings so true x

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...