Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ya, we juice


Simply put, this post is all about juice.
 And it should not come as any surprise that our desire to try juicing came about after I watched the documentary: Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
And then I made my husband watch it.
 I have read more stories and posts in the last month about people watching this documentary and being inspired to try juicing. 
So, take a note from me, my carb addicted husband, and anyone else that has blogged about this topic in the last few months: this documentary will get you.

It got us. 
We promptly went out and purchased a Breville juicer and went for it.
Mind you, there has not been much juice fasting over here. 
More like supplementary juicing. 
(Even though we are open to trying a longer fast together in the future).

Being that I have Type 1 Diabetes I have always wondered how juicing would effect my blood sugar. 
And I can say that the longest I have went drinking predominantly juice for all my meals is about two days.

I do treat lows if I have them.
 And I don't restrict myself if I want a handful of almonds or a cheese stick in between my glasses of juice. Which may defeat the purpose for some. 
But, my goal in juicing is to primarily get all those nutrients. 
Seeing as my body is deficient in so many of them. 
And ironically my blood sugar stayed very level during the period of time that I have done this. 
 Definitely closer to the lower end.
I do try to juice predominantly vegetables with less fruit (because of my blood sugar). 
But, I have had a lot of fun getting more creative with Erick's drinks. 
And I do have an extrememly picky husband. And he drinks this stuff. 
That is testimony enough!

Have you tried juicing? What has been your experience? What is your favorite recipe? 
I would love to hear them!

Here is my favorite juicing concoction:
 
( I use all organic produce to ensure I am getting as many nutrients as possible)

6-7 stalks of Kale
 1 small/medium green apple
 1/2 of a lemon
 1/2 of a cucumber (peeled)
 1/2 pear 
1 carrot

Erick's favorite concoction: 

6 stalks of Kale
2 carrots
1/2 cucumber (peeled)
1 small/medium green apple
1/2 a grapefruit
1/2 a lemon
1 small orange
 

8 comments:

  1. I have a friend who is juice fasting right now, for breakfast and lunch, and then eating a portioned dinner. she said that she feels 100% better than she used to, and she didn't even feel that bad before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Erin!
      It's crazy how sometimes we don't even recognize that we might not be feeling as good as we could.
      I know I am really happy with the results of incorporating it into our diet as well! :)

      Delete
  2. I think I found your blog through Delighted Momma's blog. LOVE YOUR BLOG! I have T1 Diabetes as well (diagnosed when I was 8), am on a pump, CGM, yadayadayada.

    How do you figure out how many carbs you are taking in when you juice? Do you add up the carbs of what it would be if you were eating it whole? I.E: medium apple = 22 carbs...a juiced apple is 22 carbs as well???

    I've been wanting to juice but have been intimidated in figuring out how much insulin to compensate for it...especially since juice has always been looked at as too sugary and just used to treat a low.

    I'd love to hear how you make it work.
    Thanks!
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen!
    So great to meet you! I love meeting fellow T1s and hearing about their story! I also am on the pump and just started the CGM a few months ago. :)

    Yes, while juicing I added up the fruit as if I was eating it whole.
    But, then I would actually deduct a small amount off of my total insulin amount.

    That's because I noticed while I was juicing (I kept my basal rates the same) I would hover around the 85-114 mark all day long.
    I only had a couple small lows that I needed to treat as a result.
    But, I know that if would have stuck with my original bolus amount I would have been having too many lows.

    I too was concerned about trying juicing as a replacement to my meals for a day because I assumed it would spike my sugar.

    But, surprisingly they were very level.
    I do try to keep a high amount of green in every blend (I usually stick with Kale).
    And I have noticed that fruits like grapefruit have more of a spiking effect, so I try to stay away from that one.

    Also, if you want more filler in your juice cucumber produces a lot of liquid without the blood sugar spiking.

    Hopefully that helps! Let me know how it works out if you give it a try!
    I know everyone responds differently to sugar, but the juice fasting aspect for me really leveled my blood sugars out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! i will have to look at this documentary. i also was just recently told about 'food inc.' i am looking forward to watching that video this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love juicing- super energy...but the pulp. i feel terrible about all that pulp :/

    cheers!

    deirdre

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks so much for giving away the giftcard for taleen's giveaway! so excited to use it and glad i got to find your blog too. i'd be interested to try juicing. and i liked hearing about what you had to say about it affecting your type 1 diabetes. my fiancee also has it (and is super picky) so i'd be interested to see if it would help him out too! would also love to hear if you have other recipe/tips for type 1 diabetes.
    -- jackiejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie!
      So glad that you will be able to put the giftcard to good use! And I am glad to have you here!
      Like I mentioned in my post, I think the key for me (with controlling my blood sugar) while juicing is watching the amount of fruit that I use. And using a large amount of greens. And I already said this in a response, but cucumber is a great filler as it produces a lot of liquid.

      How long has your fiance' had Type 1?
      I know for me personally I have found that the one thing that helps me gain control over my fluctuating blood sugars is to try and focus on a low carb diet. High protein and veggies, limited fruit, and trying to stay away as much as possible from breads, grains, and packaged products.

      I would love to hear how you both like juicing if you try it! :)

      Delete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...