Thursday, October 18, 2012

Walking for the Cure

About a month ago Erick and I had the opportunity to walk for JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) and our hope for a cure. 
I have talked about my life and experiences with Juvenile Diabetes (Type 1) on here many times (here and here).

In all honesty, the day felt very symbolic to me. 
I have never done anything like this. 
Never publicly gathered with a group of people who were all either living with this disease as well, or walking in support of their child, or their grandchild, or a close friend. 
It felt quite empowering and emotional all at once. 

I was choosing to walk for myself, but I was also walking for the thousands of people that were fighting against this every single day. 
It is a battle. 
And there are so many parents out there doing whatever they can for their child. 
For hope. For a future.
I do not take it for granted all the research and support that has developed throughout the years for this disease. 
I know that I have access to resources that used to never be around.
 Matter of fact, there was little hope for a healthy future with this disease even fifty years ago.

So, I want to say 'thank-you' to the people who have donated their energy and their time and resources and encouraging words to this cause and those affected by it. 

You have no idea how much hope you have given us. Life is such a precious thing. 

And to those who have supported me personally by giving me a shoulder to cry on when things get tough and encouraged me to keep going and have prayed for my healing: thank you.
Your prayers of faith have pushed me through the last eleven years. 
And I was walking to celebrate that.

If you want to learn more about JDRF and how you can support the hope for a cure go here.
If you want to find a walk in your area check here.
To learn more about Type 1 Diabetes head on over here.

2 comments:

  1. this is so beautiful! what a brave, strong, courageous soul you are sweet gal! i'm absolutely thrilled i found your blog and am now following you!

    much love to you!
    happy sunday!
    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping in! I am thrilled to have you here! :)

      Delete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...