Thursday, September 27, 2012

What is it about this time of year?

What is it about this time of year?
 It seems to pull at my heart strings and make me really giddy all at once. It's a sentimental reminder. 
Slowly, it pushes me.
Suddenly I am following random paths in woods that I've never been.  
I'm catching myself breathing deeper this whole time. The crisp air seems to fill me up so much faster. 
It just smells cleaner and fuller and I can always smell the faint waft of smoke rising up into the evening. 

The sun filters through all the trees with their leaves displaying a kaleidoscope of color. 
I want to wear the coziest knit sweater I can find. 
I want to drink steaming hot coffee 24/7. Watching it's steam float up into the atmosphere.
 I suddenly want to get lost in a book. 
And with the plucking of a guitar on my radio, I could drive down random country roads for hours. 
Eventually, I am sure one of those roads would lead me home. 
To my parent's house. 
I find myself clinging to my husband's hand even more. Undoubtedly for warmth and the comfort it brings all at once.  

What is about this time of year?

 A pumpkin becomes a welcome mat. A dying tree becomes a symbol of beauty. A brisk evening becomes the promise of change to come. 
And somehow, all these things, wrapped up together become the tug on our hearts to head home and take a walk in the woods, all at once.

4 comments:

  1. new follower! popped over from the Sunday social.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful, beautiful words! this time of year is very special for me as well - even more now that i'm about to become a mom.

    great expectations: that's an awesome book - one of my favorite, actually.

    i'm somglad i bumped into your blog. got here through sunday social. following! hope you find the time to come visit (and maybe follow) me too sometime. :)

    it must be (so)... liberating

    ReplyDelete
  3. couldn't have said it better myself! lovely words

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...