Friday, July 27, 2012

Cup Art DIY

Alright, let me be honest here. I am not specifically inclined to being very "crafty". Believe me, I have often wondered how this happened as my mother is very very crafty. She is extremely creative when it comes to creating things. So, with that disclaimer out there for the world I will say that Pinterest has done to me what it has done to everyone else: inspiration to be creative. 

I am sure you have seen or heard or maybe even attempted writing with a sharpie on a porcelain dish. 

Anyone?

Well, after multiple attempts at this, my sharpie kept coming off with soap and water (even after I baked it).

New approach.

I found these pens that are specifically for writing on porcelain at Micheals (craft store). 
The brand that I discovered is called: Pebeo.
The pen comes with instructions for how long to bake the dish after you write on it. You do need to let it set for 24 hours. 
But, they even claim that it becomes dishwasher safe after it is baked. 
I have yet to test this out, but it stood up to my scrubbing and soap and hot water without making a dent in my design.

Victory!

I made the cup below for my mother's hairdresser as a gift. 
I love the idea of doing a "his" and "her" cup. 
So I did. 
Wedding gift ideas, anyone? 
The possibilities are endless.

So, my love for coffee has finally met a crafty DIY project. 
That I can do. 
 

7 comments:

  1. I've seen this craft flying around on Pinterest! I love the Mr. And Mrs. That is cute!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this craft Ashton! Such a great idea, and I've totally heard of those pens from Michaels! Those Mr and Mrs mugs turned out so cute!

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute and fun! I love how easy this is too.. as much as I love going to craft stores and pinning DIY projects, I'm not as crafty as I'd like to be either!

    http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a great idea and fun craft! I just might have to do this :)!

    Oh and my GFC is being weird, but it let me follow you through my twitter account, did you know you could do that?! I didnt! Cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only I had half the beautiful handwriting you have.....I was wondering, has the porcelain pens stood the test of time thus far? I'm curious because I plan on creating some and selling them as fundraisers for a mission trip. Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Leilani!
      I gave mine away for gifts as well. I tried a lot of different pens that said you could write on various surfaces. But nothing worked besides the one brand that I mentioned above.

      The key is to definitely bake them for the allotted time that it requires.
      Also, I attached little tags that said "handwash only" because the cups definitely withstood my scrubbing! These pens claim to even be dishwasher safe, so you could always do a test run on one. :)

      Delete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...