Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Canning that.

A couple weeks ago my mother and I decided to dedicate a whole day to creating delicious food. Food that could be enjoyed months and even a year from now.

This was my very first experience in canning. My very first experience in creating delicious jellies and preserves.

I found the whole process to be quite therapeutic. Concocting ideas for the perfect mixture of fruit. Frantically stirring all the ingredients over a steaming stove (that was working at full capacity). Trying not to cry when I burnt my thumb on the raspberry jam.

My mom took the time to teach me something. An organic and simpler way of viewing food. We put time into it. We thought about it together. We sealed each can and carefully aligned them on the counter. We let out giggles of satisfaction when we heard the lids popping at random.

I have a lot of respect for generations past that put time and energy and thought into preserving food for their families. I can only imagine that they felt as satisfied over the end result a I did when I saw all those cans lined up in a row.

It's not just the idea of putting love into the food one is creating, it's about the memories and time spent with the people working alongside you.

Every time I open a can of jam I'll be opening up hard work, laughter, and a summer memory of my mom and I in the kitchen.

6 comments:

  1. mh .. Blueberry ,delicious! :)

    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, I need to learn how to do this! Also sounds like such a fun way to bond with your mom, too!

    http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier than I thought! You would enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like such a good and fun idea, I've never even considered doing anything like this and am actually sitting here wondering why. It sounds like you and your mum had a lovely time too, which is always a huge bonus :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After trying it out, I'm not sure what took me so long as well! We can always count on mothers to give us a positive push to try new things, right? ;)

      Delete
  4. how perfect is that! i love this idea of opening up memories and laughter. just beautiful!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...