Thursday, May 3, 2012

accountability and a recipe


It is the beginning of a new month people! And I do love new beginnings. With that said, I am embarking on a journey that involves some self-discipline. See this post for explanation. And if there is one thing that I have learned from living with Juvenile Diabetes is that what one puts in their mouth is so very important.

 I can honestly say that I get to see the immediate effects of food on my body almost as soon as I consume it. Blood sugar baby. Blood sugar. So, while I am no expert at what one should or should not be eating, I have learned through my own body (and many visits to the dietician) what are good choices for someone like me. And if something is good for my body, you can bet your carbohydrates (sorry, diabetic joke...) that it should be good for yours as well.  
So, as an act of accountability to myself and hopefully something that will be useful to you, I thought I would occasionally share what I have been consuming. 

Marinated Chicken and Veggies

1 Red Onion* chopped in quarters 
1 Red Bell pepper* chopped
1 Yellow Bell pepper* chopped

1 package of Chicken breast* cut into chunks
Teriyaki Sauce (your choice)
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

How to make it
Marinate the chopped chicken in your choice of Teriyaki Sauce.
Toss chopped veggies into a separate bowl with olive oil (use as much or as little as you like). Add salt and pepper.

Pour veggies onto grill top (you could also skewer these for an outside grill).
Place chicken on grill top (opposite side).
Cook until chicken is done and veggies become lightly browned on the edges.
Stir everything together.
Enjoy.

*We choose to use organic chicken and vegetables for their health benefits.

4 comments:

  1. It's great that living with diabetes has made you appreciate how food affects your body! I felt the same way after I stopped eating meat...I wanted to pay extra attention to getting my nutrients and it made me so aware of how different foods make me feel. Good luck with your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! It's so true that what we eat can make a difference in how we feel. Diabetes has definitely made me aware of that. :) It's awesome though that you came to that realization and cut something out...that is definitely the hardest thing to do in my mind! :)

      Delete
  2. oh goodness, marinated chicken and veggies sound so yummy!! and healthy! i definitely have to be better with what i put into my mouth!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too TJ! I have a very hard time saying "no" to certain sweet treats. :)

      Delete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...