Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Strawberry & Cream Cheese French Toast

 

My husband is slightly addicted to the Food Network. If left to his own devices, he would probably watch it all day long. I'm not sure when his fascination with it began but it's definitely been going on for awhile now. So much so, that I catch him tossing around cooking "lingo" and shopping in the professional knife section when at department stores. His most recent purchase: a bigger (and better) cutting board.
  While I also enjoy watching....I always end up really hungry. And usually craving a burger.

We were watching Paula Deen today (her sons were cooking actually) and we ended up wanting french toast. Not just any french toast though. No, we were craving strawberry and cream cheese french toast.
Here's how we did it/what you will need: 

Grocery Store List:
  • Sour Dough Bread (local bakery and pre-sliced) 
  • Original Cream Cheese
  • Strawberries
  • 1 Lemon
  • 2 Eggs
  • Milk 
  • 3/4 cup of Sugar
  • Powder Sugar
French Toast:
  •  Beat both eggs with the milk. I never measure out my milk...I just add a little splash. 
  • Spread cream cheese on both sides of the bread. Spread sliced strawberries onto one side. Stack both slices together (like a sandwich). 
  • Soak both sides in egg mixture.
  • Put on griddle (flipping when one side browns slightly).
Strawberry Sauce:
  • Dice up 1 lb. of strawberries into quarters. Place in saucepan.
  • Add the juice of one lemon.
  • Add 3/4 cup of sugar (or to taste). 
  • Stir ingredients together. Simmer on medium heat. 
  • The strawberries begin to reduce down when it's ready. There will still be chunks of strawberry in the sauce. 
Plating:
  •  Add strawberry sauce on top of french toast. Sprinkle on powder sugar. 
  • Enjoy! 


3 comments:

  1. Ok, this looks absolutely delicious! I think I know what I'm making next Saturday morning. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're making French toast for dinner tonight :) This looks delicious! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. French toast is one of my favorite comfort foods of all time! So, this was a welcome alternative to the classic! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...