Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Commit everything you do...

Remember how I said I was going to share bits and pieces of what we have learned through our journey to SC?

Welcome to the first "bit".

I find it ironic that my life verse (since I was 14) has been Proverbs 16:3: "Commit to the Lord everything you do and your plans will succeed."
I find that this verse never ever loses it's meaning in my life. Mostly because I am constantly trying to grab my life out of the hands of God and steer the course. And I need to be checked.

When we were planning to come to SC I was planning to attain my Master's degree down here as well. And a very wise woman spoke into my life, even before we left, and basically told me that God had a different plan for me here.

May I take this moment, a mini soapbox moment, to point out that God places people in our lives for a reason. Specific people. Wise people. People that are there to speak wisdom and truth and encouragement into our lives. People that are there to rebuke us when we get a little too zealous. I just want to point out ( from personal experience) that it is so easy to ignore these God people when they are saying something you may not want to hear. But, news flash, God can speak to us through spiritual leaders in our lives. So, open your ears and listen.

Back to the basic point. I didn't get it. I didn't understand what she was trying to communicate to me. My plans, in my mind, were set.

I won't go into the whole "emotional discovery" I had when I began to pursue this degree....but I will say that I knew on the very first day that God had something different for me to do here. And I believe that the purpose God had for me, my role, was far more beneficial to my character than my plan to pursue another degree could be.

I say all this, in a rambling sort of way, to convey the idea to you that our plans (my plans) are not always what God has intended. Good intentions aside, God knows what is best for me. He knows. He knew the things that would be set before me here.

I am still learning to commit everything I do to my Savior. I have a feeling that this will always be the case. But, I can say with much confidence, that committing your plans to God does not mean they will turn out exactly the way you envisioned them to. Rather,they will turn into something that follows after God's will. And that is infinitely better. That is success.

1 comment:

  1. I have been all over your blog this morning! :) This post definitely hit home for me, though. How easy it is to get distracted with your own plans and neglect to see what God's plans are for you. Funny that I should find this now as I've been struggling with the idea of grad school. Thank you for the encouragement and the reminder. :)

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...