Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Dear Michigan....

I felt it was important to let you know how I really feel about you. You know, make it public, for the world to see. If that sounds a little too "far reaching": it probably is. But, some people will know how I truly feel about you. If I am honest, and I sure am trying to be, I have not always loved you. I know, I am sure that hurts. After all, you were the piece of this vast country that held all my memories and contained my childhood adventures and became the stage for every meaningful moment that I've had. Yes, after all, you have been a loyal land. A loyal back drop to my little life.

I can't remember the first time that I realized that I really cared about you. That I really cared about your boarders surrounded by miles and miles and miles of fresh water. Or that I really did love the way you shouted God's handiwork. Was there ever such a lovely state? I mean, look at you with your ample trees and towering dunes of sand (who has that?!) and your fields of harvest. And that isn't all! You display the four seasons in such a grand way. Variety is the spice of life. And who doesn't need piles of white stuff to remind them of the grace of summer?

I should have recognized the lovely people you house within your boarders. Some of the loviest there are. Nestled within your quaint towns. I should have remembered that each one holds a specific memory. And I like specifics. I must say, missing you is tough.

The truth is, my mitten friend, I haven't given you enough credit. There are those who say things about your economy. Alright, I'll admit it, I got in on those rumors as well. And I have been known to get irritated with how much you love winter. But, our differences aside, I owe you an apology. Because, truth is, I am smitten with the mitten. There is no other place in the world that I could honestly call "home". Really, I mean that. I hope you will except my sentiments as late as they are. It just took some time for me to see it.
Until we meet again, save some fall for me!
Sincerely,
A.M.J


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...