Saturday, August 20, 2011

Every time I turn around....

...I am reminded of home. I wonder if I am the only one that finds the simplest things are the ones that spark the most memory, which in return sparks the most emotion. Here are some things that rendered me helpless the last couple days:

1. Hearing the song "On Jordan's Stormy Banks" at my brother's house. I was instantly back at Grace singing and playing music with people I love.

2. Drinking Hazelnut coffee at "Cool Beans" downtown. For some odd reason all I could think about was fall and my mom with every sip that I took. I drank the whole cup.

3. Visiting Barnes and Noble on this very Saturday. I thought of the last five years with regular Saturday morning visits from my parents which included regular runs to the Barnes and Noble Cafe'. Husband and I shared a chocolate chunk cookie in remembrance. I was too shy to ask them to warm it up though.

4. Some kid at college gave Erick a whole package of snickers bars at the CIU fair yesterday. Needless to say, candy bars don't stand a chance in Carolina weather. So, we carefully placed them in the freezer to get them back to their original state. I ate one today. All frozen. And I thought of my dad and how he (like myself) likes things really cold. He has been known to stuff candy bars in the freezer for later consumption.

5. Hearing anything Hillsong on my i-pod. "Search my Heart" pretty much only lends itself to thinking about drums. Which turns into drummers. Which turns into brothers. Which turns into my brother (in-law). It's a vicious cycle.

Anywho...this list of random connections could go on and on....but I think I've made my point. What is that saying? Oh yes, "Distance makes the heart grow fonder."

I would like to officially dub that statement as valid. Very valid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...