Friday, June 17, 2011

Don't Waste Your Life

John Piper’s book, “Don’t Waste Your Life” (among other things) is causing me to ponder my life to an almost annoying degree. I read this last night: ”Oh, that God would help me waken in you a single passion for a single great reality that would unleash you, and set you free from small dreams, and send you, for the glory of Christ, into all the spheres of secular life and to all the peoples of the earth.”

To put it to bluntly: I have held a lot of small dreams. I have built them, little by little, in my mind. I have nurtured them to life with time frames and ideas and questions.

"We waste our lives when we do not pray and think and dream and plan and work toward magnifying God in all spheres of life”

I am pretty sure I haven’t been dreaming and planning and working and even praying for that. I am also pretty sure that the idea of wasting my life on running after hobbies, and trifles, and the things of this world is not remotely appealing. I would say, rather, that it is appalling and slightly terrifying.

“Whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Jesus Christ my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ.” (Philippians 3:7-8)

Goodbye to the rubbish.

3 comments:

  1. This is good stuff my sister and something I have been thinking about for some time. Today as I was reading I came to this verse: "Who among you fears the Lord and obeys athe voice of his servant? Let him who walks in darkness and has no light trust in the name of the Lord
    and rely on his God. Behold, all you who kindle a fire, who equip yourselves with burning torches! Walk by the light of your fire, and by the torches that you have kindled! This you have from my hand: you shall lie down in torment" (Isaiah 50:10-11).

    How much better to walk in the darkness of uncertainty in this life with trust in God's servant (Jesus) than to try to light our own fires and in the end lie down in torment because we have wasted our lives.

    Love you.
    -Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. great writing and great message. i couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...