Monday, March 22, 2010

Fear

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." -John 14:27

I've been reading in John lately. And I find it amazing when I come across verses that I have read before...but sometimes they just hit me in a different way. I've been thinking lately about how debilitating fear is. It's amazing how many things really stem from fear. Maybe we have a tendency to think of fear in specific ways. But, as of late I am realizing that my tendency to want to plan everything, my tendency to get anxious about details really stems from fear. My fear of not having control of time. My fear of not having control over how my plans will "pan out".

Interesting. So, I found it especially interesting when I read that verse the other day. Those words, straight from Jesus. And it made me think how I know I subconsciously and sometimes very consciously seek peace in the world. We look to money for security. Or maybe it is having a closet full of clothes. Or maybe it is our dreams and plans. Maybe it is escaping into a hobby. Maybe it's our friends or family...sometimes our animals. Education. Status. Jobs. Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but at the end of the day all those things (while enjoyable and sometimes great blessings) feel very void. If that is all they are. And I'm not satisfied with that.

Anyways. As soon as I open God's Word I find comfort. Peace. I read those words straight from Jesus, and I'm ok with taking him at His word. I'm ok with admitting my fear. I'm ok with giving it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...