Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I live vicariously through the movie: "You've Got Mail"

It comes as no secret to those that know me well. I am addicted. I have no pressing excuse to why. I don't consider myself a "movie buff", actually I prefer hands on activities versus laying in front of my TV. But, just the same I have watched this movie an uncountable amount of times. Uncountable. Does it ever get old? NO. Do I ever get bored? No, again. This is also odd because I normally watch movies once and I am done with them for all eternity. Or at least a few good years. Not this one.

I have often considered getting psychological on myself to find the real reason behind such madness. I actually saw the movie in theaters at the tender age of eleven. I remember going to see it with my mother after we had the "rights of passage into womanhood" weekend. Memorable.

I am unsure if it's the old whimsical music that pumps throughout the whole movie. I do have the soundtrack. I mean it doesn't get any better than this cd on a sunny day when one just wants to walk outside. It has such hits as "Rockin' Robin" (Bobby Day), "Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours" (Stevie Wonder),"Dreams" (Cranberries) and my personal favorite, "The Puppy Song" (Harry Nilsson). Amongst other older classics.

If not the music maybe it is the nod to simpler things present in the movie. Meg Ryan (Kathleen Kelly) seems perfectly innocent with her pixie cut and clothes that nod to old woman meets classically understated. I tried to get a pixie cut once.

Maybe it is the oldness of the movie. They parade down these classic back-streets with older apartment buildings lining them along with the trees. Kathleen Kelly herself lives in an old "shabby-chic" apartment with old moldings and intricate details. Her "Shop Around the Corner" becomes the epitome of whimsical bookstore that also has "age" written all over it. I do love old things.

If not all that, it could be the scenes of the Upper West Side of New York. The cafe's, the no-name restaurants, the down town feel that makes one want to drink coffee. One views all these locations in the midst of 3 distinct different seasons. Yes, the movie glorifies fall, portrays Christmas/winter, and makes us all wish for spring. One can watch it in any season and feel a new respect for the temperature outside.

Or it could be the characters that seem full of so much wit that I want to steal it. Tom Hanks (Joe Fox) has a dog named Brinkley. I fully intend on stealing that. He also makes such comments like "Don't you love New York in the Fall? If I knew your name and address I would send you a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils". Or such thoughts of wisdom as, "The Godfather is the I-ching. The Godfather is the sum of all wisdom. The Godfather is the answer to any question. What should I pack for my summer vacation? 'Leave the gun, take the cannoli.' What day of the week is it? 'Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday.' "

I haven't nailed it down. But, whatever the reason, the movie allows me to dream a little. Maybe all the things I like so much are represented in the movie in a right way? Or maybe it becomes a nod to a life that I hope to live. And we all know that "hoping" pushes us forward.

"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void." (Kathleen Kelly)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...