Monday, December 28, 2009

Being "spit out" into the world...

I have recently come to the conclusion that graduating from college does something horrible to one's life. Yes, sure college is supposed to better us all. Making us amazing benefactors of knowledge in whatever thrilling field we decided to dominate. And yet, I can not help but feel more pathetic now than I have ever felt...even before college. Shall I elaborate? Pull up a chair.

All these years devoting my time to a college education, jumping through the hoops that my professors erected, writing paper after paper....after paper. All this culminates to one defining moment where you walk across a stage quite briskly in a static-cling filled gown of sorts, shake a hand or two, and walk off the stage.

Descending off that college stage must concoct a time warp. Before one performed that symbolic act they were considered a student, now we are "alumni". It becomes an identity crisis of sorts. Do I claim to have loved spending hours into the night working on projects? Of course not. Do I assert that not thinking about Christmas until a week before is normal? Never. But, what I am suggesting is that there seems to be little room in this failing economy for "fresh off the college stage.... alumni" looking for a job.

Just so this post does not turn bitter, I am shifting gears slightly from economy to example. Before one graduates from college there is little job expectation. Working at a local pizza joint that requires you to wear khaki pants every day is completely normal. Even respectable. Making insanely rich people smoothies on a daily basis? That is quite admirable. But once those glossy doors of the school shut behind you...it all changes. Grease and plastic cups have no value now. And so the waiting game begins.Unlike most people I have a 24 hour recovery rate and I am now ready for break time to be over. But, it seems far from finished.

Day 1 as a jobless graduate looked something like this:

11:30 a.m. : rolled out of my fleecy cocoon.

11:40 a.m: finished grape fruit. yum.

12:45 p.m.: chatted with husband on his lunch break.

1:00 p.m.: tried to run a mile...stopped running.

1:05 p.m: walked a mile.

2:00 p.m: hung out with the Siamese

2:39 p.m.: still hanging out with the Siamese

3:00-4:00 p.m.: channel surfing

4:30 p.m.: shower time

5:00-9:00 p.m.: dinner/grocery shopping/mindless hours on the couch/pondering of existence

now: writing this blasted entry.

Gratefully, I get to repeat this cycle until employment is found. Maybe I will switch it up tomorrow and add in a little closet organizing.

2 comments:

  1. "...Making insanely rich people smoothies on a daily basis? That is quite admirable. But once those glossy doors of the school shut behind you...it all changes. Grease and plastic cups have no value now. And so the waiting game begins."

    My sentiments exactly.

    right after I graduated from Film School, I got a job at the Gap. I kept it for two months before quitting. I don't mean to sound elitist, but the job was simply beneath me. I was a college grad now, and a job in retail, which I would have loved in high school and college, just wasn't doing it for me. I knew I needed something else.

    And you know what? I'm doing alright...

    And you will too. Give it some time. Trust in God. Nothing else really matters.

    cheers, fellow blogger.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pell...I am sorry that you are suffering with the same "condition" as myself, but also glad to know there is someone else out there that "gets IT."

    I keep on rehearsing that verse over and over and OVER in my head that says... "Do not be anxious about ANYTHING but in EVERYTHING..present your requests to God"

    At least we graduated with a degree we are passionate about...it could be worse, we could be in accounting....*shudder*
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...